The roof is a lifeline of sorts. It is exposed to the elements, but it also provides shelter from the elements when they are not at their most productive. A well-designed roof can provide years of energy savings and enhanced home value. The most common type of roofing shingles is asphalt. It is usually black and offers excellent durability and low cost. The raw materials of asphalt are petroleum products, grindings and solvents. Its composition allows it to last at least 50 years without deterioration or cracking. In addition to its longevity, it is also easy to repair and maintain.
While asphalt roofing shingles have several advantages, they also have some disadvantages. Smelling like petroleum is one of them. Since it is made from crude oil, its smell can be offensive. Another drawback of asphalt is that it typically carries a higher price tag than other types of roofing materials.
Following are ten benefits of roofing shingles:
- Energy Savings – Roofs are supposed to protect your home and keep its inside dry and protected from outside elements. The most important aspect of this protection is to prevent heat loss or entry in the winter, along with avoiding heat buildup or entry in summer. Roofs made from materials like asphalt shingles, metal roofing and clay roof tiles cool the inside of your home during warm weather and keep it warmer in colder weather.
- Reduce Heat – The heat flow associated with roofs occurs in two ways. First is black-body radiation, a direct flow of heat from the sun’s rays. Darker colours such as blue, green or black attract more heat than lighter colours like white, yellow or orange. Roof shingles made of dark colours can warm the inside of your home and make you feel warmer than when a lighter-coloured roof is installed.
- Attract Cool Air – The opposite of warming up a house is to cool it down or keep it more relaxed. The air around your home flows from high to low places, just like water in a stream or river. Darker coloured roofs attract the warmer air and hold it above your home’s surface. White or lighter coloured roofs allow the warm air to exit away from your home and pull in cooler air from lower areas surrounding it.
- Durability – Both asphalt shingles and metal roofing last many years with proper maintenance and protection against the elements, including hail damage. Most asphalt shingles are guaranteed for at least 20 years against wear, which adds to its benefit of good durability. Metal roofing is known for its exceptional durability of at least 100 years. The material is tough and resistant to any weather condition.
- Fire Resistance – Fire resistance is an essential feature in your roofing selection because of the loss of property and life during a fire outbreak. Roof shingles are made from two types of materials: asphalt and fibreglass. Each has its fire resistance characteristics to ensure the safety of your home. Fibreglass shingles are typically used in low-pitched roofs but offer no protection against fire, heat or smoke since they ignite as easily as wood shingles.
Roofing shingles India represent an affordable option for replacing a worn-out roof or constructing a new one, depending on your geographical location. Shapes, colours, textures and style are just a few of the many options for the shingles you choose.