Orange chicken is only one of many Chinese takeaway recipes that feature fried halal organic meat pieces mixed with sauce. The sauce is made using a combination of soy sauce, water, and orange juice, as well as a cornstarch thickening to make it just thick enough to cover the chicken.
Boneless, skinless halal organic chicken thighs are chopped into bite-size pieces, breaded, then fried until golden and crispy. And the glazing with orange sauce is delicious! It’s full of flavor and both sweet and spicy.
Cooking Chinese food at home is not only healthier than ordering takeout, but it is also much faster than waiting for delivery. Within minutes, you can have this simple orange chicken on the table.
Now, lets find out the ingredients used for the recipe.
- Chicken Thighs 2 lbs (chopped into bite-sized cubes)
- Sesame Oil 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Salt 1 tbsp
- White Pepper 1 tsp
- Cornstarch 1 cup
- Flour 3 cups
- Egg 1
- Water 1.5 cups
- Vegetable Oil 2 tbsp
- Vegetable Oil 1 tsp
- Chili Flakes 1/4 tsp
- Ginger 1/2 tsp (minced)
- Garlic 1 tbsp (minced)
- Sugar 1/4 cup
- Brown Sugar 1/4 cup
- Orange Juice 1/4 cup
- Vinegar 1/4 cup
- Soy Sauce 2 tbsp
- Cornstarch Slurry 2 tbsp
- Spring Onions
- Orange Zest
Here is the cooking instructions step by step for the ultimate recipe for orange chicken.
For the Preparation oF Batter:
- Prepare a mixing bowl for the batter.
- Combine the salt, white pepper, cornstarch, and flour in a mixing bowl.
- To combine the ingredients, whisk them well.
- Add the egg to the mixture.
- While whisking the mixture, slowly drizzle in the water.
- Whisk in the oil until the batter is completely smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chopped chicken thighs and the batter.
- Toss to coat evenly.
- Wrap clingfilm around the bowl.
- Chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Deep fry the breaded chicken cubes till golden brown once they’ve been done.
For The Preparation Of Glaze
- Shift the fried chicken on a serving platter to cool.
- Preheat a frying pan to medium-high heat.
- Heat the vegetable oil.
- Stir in the chili flakes, ginger, and garlic.
- Saute for 30 seconds or until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add the sugar and brown sugar to the mixture.
- To blend, stir everything together.
- Now add orange juice to it.
- Allow simmering while stirring occasionally.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, and cornstarch slurry after simmering for a few minutes.
- Stir constantly until the glaze has thickened.
- Pour the glaze over the chicken cubes.
- Toss well to coat.
- Drizzle a little sesame oil on top.
- Toss everything together thoroughly.
- Transfer to a platter after removing from the heat.
- Garnish the platter of chicken with some chopped spring onions and orange zest.
- Serve and have fun!
Serving: Orange Chicken goes great with steamed white rice.
- You may keep the orange chicken in the freezer for up to three months. If you do, defrost the chicken before reheating it in the skillet so the pieces may readily separate.
- The orange chicken can also be made with chicken wings! Before stirring them in the sauce, deep fry them for 12 minutes or bake them for 45 minutes until cooked through.