Planning a house renovation project after a long gap is a huge undertaking as it involves a lot of brainstorming, research, expert consultations, financial planning and whatnot. What’s even more taxing is executing the project in real-time. Don’t worry, we are here for you
If you are willing to update your home, improve the aesthetics or even increase its sale value, then you can go in for a home renovation project. Though renovation can take place even in newer homes, it is still most commonly associated with older homes as they come up with more complicated structural issues. Find the best expert at repcalgaryhomes.ca for home renovation.
This is typically because things were made very differently back then. Hence, home renovation for older homes present costly challenges which aren’t very pleasing to the pockets, a few of which are:
- Building materials used then are no longer available or considered unhealthy.
- Bad renovation work done repeatedly by a mediocre workforce.
- Obsolete plumbing, flooring and electrical wirings.
- Outdated layouts that favour small rooms with long corridors.
If you want to ensure that your house renovation project runs smoothly, safely and within your set budget, then it is advised that you follow a set of logical and practical steps to avoid rework later. Enjoy the fruits of your labour with careful planning and execution at the initial stages.
Although the terms ‘renovation’, ‘refurbishment’, ‘remodelling’ and ‘retrofitting’ are often used interchangeably, there are differences among them:
- Retrofitting: Adding an extra component or feature to something which it did not have when it was first manufactured or constructed. For example, double glazing or new heating systems.
- Refurbishment: Undertaking an improvement process by cleaning, retrofitting, equipping or decorating.
- Remodelling: Changing the structure’s layout either by altering it or extending it.
- Renovation: Restoring something to its original state or to a good condition that is refreshing and reinvigorating.
Sometimes, the owners of old houses undertake a combination of the above processes, depending upon their needs and the urgency to achieve an outcome that not only retains the former glory but also modernises the layout in line with the current trends.
Moreover, it is considered cheaper to renovate a house than to build an entirely new one. The entire home renovation project could take between two and eight months depending upon your plans in consultation with a professional contractor.
Let’s get the basics right before moving ahead. There are 11 common steps to consider in a home renovation project, which are:
- Assess The Property’s Current Potential: Keep a check on things that will cost a lot for repairs, ensure if the structure has modern electrics and heating and see if there is any scope to extend. If one is aware of these potential problems beforehand, then you can set a more realistic plan for your house renovation project.
- Prepare A Design And Schedule Of Works: Think about how you want to make the new changes work with the existing structure, either blending it in or extending it dramatically. Be clear on all steps you will need to take to renovate your home beforehand and prioritise the schedule of works. It is important to have a clear vision and blueprint for the whole house, and also make sure to do the works in a logical order so that you won’t undo jobs in the process.
- Work Out The Costs And Set A House Renovation Budget: Consult an Adelaide quantity surveyor that can break down the room-wise and total house renovation costs (combining the civil work, associated services/trades, materials, and furnishing requirements) to ensure that the house renovation project is financially viable. The best way to work through the project finances is to first be sure about what the major priorities should be, what you can afford to do and when. Keep a buffer of 10-20% of the total house renovation cost to deal with any unforeseen contingencies at the time of project execution. Be sure to also include house renovation service costs such as painting, plastering, polishing, roof repair, replacing floors, electrical wiring and bathroom fittings in the total house renovation budget.
- Hire The Best Contractor For Your Work: Look out for the best contractor and builders through family/friends so that you feel confident about their working skills. It is also advisable to get a clear quote from the contractor so that you can negotiate a great deal without compromising on the quality of work.
- Check For House Renovation Restrictions And Secure Permits: Recheck the house renovation restrictions and secure any permissions or planning consents if the works are authorised elsewhere.
- Commence The Actual House Renovation Work: The house renovation work starts on the ground with stabilising the existing foundations, securing drainage, uncovering any hidden problems and working on them, and then moving on to modifying the structures with conversions or extensions followed by finishing the walls, roofs, openings for doors and windows, etc. Work behind the walls first and then proceed outwards. In this regard, home renovation services include electrical work, waterproofing, bathroom plumbing and fittings, along with installing flooring, painting and polishing.