If you have tried many over-the-counter remedies for dry, itchy skin that haven’t worked, there could be more than one reason for your dry, itchy skin.
Along with a long list of skin conditions like eczema & psoriasis that can cause intense itch and dry skin, other conditions, like certain medications, allergies, nerve or blood diseases, skin cancer, diabetes and aging can be the culprit.
Start with some of the simple over-the-counter solutions to treat your dry, itchy skin listed below. If after two weeks with no relief, then it’s time to see your doctor to get an accurate diagnosis.
SIMPLE SOLUTIONS FOR DRY, ITCHY SKIN:
Here are some tips from the American Academy of Dermatology:
Your skin care routine needs to change with the seasons to prevent dry skin. Colder weather, with low humidity and dry air dries out your skin, so switch to more moisturizing, gentler skin care products free of harsh chemicals and fragrances. If you are 65 or older, skin gets thinner, leading to dry, itchy skin.
- When bathing, use warm instead of hot water and limit bath time to 5 – 10 minutes. Use a gentle, fragrance free cleanser. Apply a moisturizer within 2 – 3 minutes of bathing to seal in moisture.
- Instead of lotions, use a cream or ointment that contains jojoba oil, dimethicone, glycerin, hyaluronic acid, lactic acid, or shea butter. Don’t use anything that contains alpha-hydroxy acid or retinoids, or alcohol (except in your hand sanitizer),
as they dry out skin. As fragrance is a big skin irritant, make sure all your skin care products are fragrance-free.
- Add moisture to your skin internally by drinking 6 – 8 glasses of water daily and externally, by adding a humidifier to your bedroom, home or office.
- Choose natural, non-irritating fabrics for your clothing, bedding & bath towels. Wash them with fragrance-free detergent that is designed for sensitive skin.
Here’s a list of possible causes of dry, itchy skin:
SKIN DISORDERS THAT CAUSE DRY, ITCHY SKIN:
There are a lot of skin conditions that can cause your dry, itchy skin. Only your doctor would be able to give you an accurate diagnosis as to what skin condition you may have, which are:
- Atopic Dermatitis
- Dyshidrotic Eczema
- Hand-Foot-And-Mouth Disease
- Seborrheic Dermatitis
- Skin Cancer
MEDICAL DISEASES THAT CAN CAUSE, DRY, ITCHY SKIN
- Blood diseases – Lymphoma
- Kidney Disease
- Liver Disease
- Nerve Issues – Shingles, Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis
- Overactive Thyroid Gland
- Psychological Conditions – Anxiety, Depression, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Psychosis, and Trichotillomania can cause compulsive scratching.
SOME MEDICATIONS CAN CAUSE ITCHY SKIN AS A SIDE EFFECT
Always ask your doctor if any of the medications you are taking can cause itchy skin or tell your doctor if you have itchy skin so they can review the medications you are on to determine if any are causing skin itching. They will be able to help identify and then relieve your itch. Here is a list of medications that are known to cause itchy skin:
- Allopurinol (for Gout)
- Amiodarone (for Heart Rhythm Issues)
- Certain Blood-Pressure Medications (ACE inhibitors)
- Diuretic Pills That Relieve Bloating
- OTC Pain Relievers – Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Naproxen Sodium
- Rx Opioid Pain Relievers
- Simvastatin (High Cholesterol)
As you can see, there are many reasons for itchy skin besides Eczema & Psoriasis, so it is important to see a medical professional for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
If you have already been diagnosed with having Eczema or Psoriasis, consider natural, skin-clearing minerals originally developed by our dermatologist founder for his own patients.
Both Loma Lux Eczema Pill and Loma Lux Psoriasis contain exclusive all-natural minerals that are taken orally to relieve skin conditions internally – for clear, healthy skin from within.
LOMA LUX ECZEMA PILL
Designed for both children and adults, it provides multi-symptom relief of scaling, inflammation and non-drowsy itch relief – free of steroids, antihistamines or harsh chemicals. Why use a topical medication when eczema starts internally deep inside the skin where topicals can’t reach? Eczema Pill targets the internal source for clear skin from within. It’s an Amazon best seller with 1,800+ reviews. Learn more: https://lomalux.com/product/eczema-pill/
LOMA LUX PSORIASIS
Developed by dermatologist, Dr. Steven Smith. Clinically proven to relieve scaling, redness, inflammation and itching, Loma Lux Psoriasis has helped thousands of psoriasis sufferers for over twenty years. Its 5 natural minerals are taken orally to relieve all psoriasis symptoms internally for clear skin from within. It contains no harsh ingredients, no steroids, no coal tar, and no salicylic acid – just healthy. It’s an Amazon best seller with over 400 reviews. Learn more: https://lomalux.com/product/loma-lux-psoriasis/