Many homeowners do not realize the importance of winter pruning for the trees on their properties. Some homeowners even mistakenly believe pruning trees in the middle of winter causes damage. During the cold months of the year, trees are in their dormant state of growth which is an ideal time to start pruning. Being aware of the benefits will allow homeowners to take action and ensure their trees receive proper care so they can experience abundant spring growth.
Six Reasons Dormant Pruning Is So Effective for Spring Growth
Homeowners must be aware of the many benefits of winter pruning. During the winter, homeowners should consider hiring a tree service fort mill sc. Hiring professionals will help to ensure the trees receive the safe and effective trimming services they need. The following are the top benefits of winter tree pruning in the South Carolina region.
More Effective Tree Evaluation
One of the reasons for winter pruning is a more effective tree evaluation. After the leaves fall, the branches are all exposed, allowing tree specialists to come in and inspect every component of the tree. The tree specialist will determine if pruning is safe and carry out the steps that will ensure proper trimming.
The Tree Will Look Much Better in the Spring
Tree specialists will cut down branches in the winter, allowing for healthier and thicker growth in the spring. The growth is also more likely to come in faster because of the freshly pruned areas on the tree.
Prevents Diseases from Spreading
Although arborists trim trees during the summer, there is an increased risk of spreading disease. With tree pruning in the spring, the foliage will sometimes lead to the spread of diseases like Dutch elm disease or fire blight.
Winter Pruning Is More Efficient
When the ground freezes during the winter, it is much harder, allowing for heavy equipment to come into the area. The result is lower costs and more efficient work. Homeowners will enjoy the benefits of the final result.
Causes Less Stress
Pruning trees in the winter leads to much less stress. When arborists trim trees before the budding season in spring, they heal much faster. When tree pruning occurs in fall, the cold winter weather that comes in shortly after may cause death and disfigurement to the tree. Pruning in the winter is one of the best seasons.
Prevents Winter Damage
During the winter, the colder temperatures and ice buildup can lead to damage to vulnerable trees. When trees have a lot of dead limbs, the heavy ice can cause them to fall. Ice can also cause a vulnerable tree to fall over. Winter pruning helps to rejuvenate weakened trees and can make them much safer.
One of the biggest benefits of pruning trees during the winter months is they heal much faster. Pruning a tree causes a wound that then needs time to heal. When a tree is in its dormant state, which only happens in winter, it can put its full focus into the healing process. Effective healing means a healthier tree.
Can Homeowners Trim Trees Themselves?
There are times homeowners may trim a tree safely, but it is not always advised. If a homeowner has a small tree that is only as high as eye level, they can trim the tree safely, removing any dead branches. If the tree is taller, it would be wise for a homeowner to rely on professionals for tree trimming services.
Can Trees Be Pruned in the Spring and Summer?
Winter is one of the most effective times for pruning but this does not mean it is the only time that is beneficial. Pruning can be carried out in both spring and summer for different reasons. Pruning sometimes becomes necessary in the spring or summer for the following reasons.
- Sometimes, arborists cannot identify deadwood in the winter months because there is no foliage growth. Homeowners need tree trimming services in the spring or summer months to check these areas and remove them if they are dead.
- In some cases, a tree may suffer damage from a storm or disease during the spring or summer months. Prompt removal is sometimes necessary for preventing damages or injuries.
- Once the leaves begin to grow on a tree, arborists will discover if any shaping issues are present. Most tree trimmers will assess a tree’s shape after all the leaves have come in, typically in the summer months. Shaping is best done in these months to ensure the outcome is exceptional and reflects the beauty of the tree.
- Tree specialists may also need to carry out tree pruning during the spring or summer because the tree needs opening up to allow for sunlight within the depths of the tree. If portions of a tree are not getting sunlight, the area could end up dying, which could put the tree’s overall health in danger.
- Homeowners may also need to hire a tree specialist during the spring or summer to raise the canopy of their trees. When tree foliage grows too low, it can impede the view of a homeowner.
- When trees or shrubs grow too large, homeowners may need to hire a tree trimming company to come out in the warmer months of the year and remove the excess growth that may be causing problems for a homeowner.
Hire the Professionals
Although homeowners can handle some types of trees trimming chores, professionals should carry out most trimming. A professional tree trimmer has the tools, equipment, and knowledge to handle a wide array of tree pruning chores.
Trees that are pruned improperly will end up being damaged and could even die. It takes extensive knowledge to know how to prune trees without causing undue damage to them.
If the trees on a property need trimming, homeowners should call a tree trimming service to come out and inspect their trees. A full inspection allows professionals to determine what areas of the tree need to be removed. Inspections are also necessary for ensuring serious damage or disease is not present in the tree. With these services, trees are safely managed so they remain healthy.