You may wonder why a piece of jewelry is called a “tennis bracelet.” Funny, isn’t it?
History of Tennis Bracelets
Tennis bracelets were originally known as ‘line diamond bracelets,’ but this term has since become outdated. They were also referred to as “eternity bracelets.” Designed to show everlasting love for your spouse.
The tennis bracelet got its name from a famous public event, not from its origin or function. Chris Evert, a professional tennis player, lost her George Bedawi diamond bracelet during a match at the 1987 US Open.
The player requested that the game be paused while she searched for the missing bracelet. This had TV viewers and spectators watching the search. The phrase “tennis bracelet” was coined after Evert’s bracelet stole the game that fateful day.
The game didn’t resume until she found the bracelet. Jewelers began naming the bracelets tennis bracelets, and their sales skyrocketed as a result.
What is a Tennis Bracelet?
Tennis bracelets are bracelets with a symmetrical pattern of diamond cuts and diamond shapes linked by a thin, precious metal chain.
These charming, little, diamond pieces are worn around the wrist and sparkle in the light, and look great when layered. Tennis bracelets are often made of gold and real diamonds, which makes them quite expensive. Although tennis bracelets are mostly made of diamonds, other gemstones can be used as well.
There are numerous variations of this jewelry available currently. Tennis bracelets are available in various settings, thicknesses, precious metals, and precious stone colors.
Because white gold or platinum complements the colorless diamonds, most diamond tennis bracelets are made of them. You may find an exclusive tennis bracelet more valuable. Therefore, you could choose between timeless and classic yellow gold and playful rose gold.
Tennis bracelets are not only light to wear, but they are also loose around the wrist and come in a variety of sizes.
Types of Tennis Bracelets
Tennis bracelets may appear to be the same from a distance, but they are not. Many of these differences can be seen in the settings. So, if you’re looking for a tennis bracelet, you’ll quickly realize that.
There are various sleek and stylish tennis bracelets to choose from, and the bracelets don’t all look or feel the same.
- Prong Tennis Bracelet Setting
This tennis bracelet has prongs in small metal projections holding each stone in place. The number of prongs and the prong setting styles vary depending on the setting style.
Larger carat diamonds are typically held by at least four prongs, while two or three prongs hold smaller carat diamonds.
- Four Prong Setting
When it comes to tennis bracelets, this is a famous option. It has a single row of brilliant diamonds that have been expertly crafted into a four-prong basket.
It is a popular option because the four prongs make it very stable and keep everything in place very well. To get a classic look on a budget, you can choose between natural and lab-created diamonds.
- Three Prong Setting
The three-prong diamond tennis bracelet is another option. It is similar to a four-prong setting. But it has only one row of diamonds in a gorgeous three-prong basket.
You can select from various diamond colors and clarity, but this one is only available with natural diamonds.
- Two Prong Setting
This classic bracelet will stand out while complementing any outfit you choose. It carefully places the diamonds on two-prong baskets to keep it simple and elegant.
The diamond is not as well held together. You must exercise caution when using this style.
- Multiple Rows Diamond Tennis Bracelet
The options discussed above are simple and elegant, with only one row of diamonds all around. They are typically the type of tennis bracelet that most people would prefer.
However, two or three rows of diamonds can be stacked on top of each other. Tennis bracelets with multiple rows can also use different prongs or bezel styles depending on the bracelet’s appearance.
- Three Prong Flower Clasp
This tennis bracelet is an additional option. It can be used when you want to be extra. While the others are simple and elegant, this one has a flower styling that holds the diamond together.
The dazzling natural or lab-grown diamonds are set in three-prong baskets to keep the bracelet secure and beautiful.
- Bezel Set Tennis Bracelet
A bezel set tennis bracelet has gemstones that are completely surrounded by metal, with each stone securely held in a cup-like setting. These bracelet settings are very secure because they safely hold the diamonds and provide a buffer from exposure.
However, due to the reduced light interaction, this setting tends to emphasize the metal as much as the stone and can reduce the stone’s sparkle. Because the metal completely covers the diamond, only the top view is visible. Tennis bracelets with bezel settings have a distinct look and are ideal for people who lead busy, active lives.
- Channel Set
The gemstone is set in a channel and has two rows of metal on either side, holding the stones in place. The diamonds are arranged closely together to form a continuous diamond loop.
Because of the way the diamonds are set, the channel setting allows for more light interaction than bezel settings, making it an excellent balance of security and beauty. This setting has a structured, sleek appearance and is very stylish.
How to Wear Diamond Tennis Bracelet
Tennis bracelets have become an iconic fashion accessory that can be worn in various ways.
- It can be worn casually or paired with diamond earrings like a simple diamond stud to form part of a more formal jewelry set. Diamond tennis bracelets can also be worn to complement diamond rings. It’ll be a great gift to give your spouse alongside an engagement ring.
- Do you want to know how to wear a tennis bracelet with a watch? Wearing a watch and a tennis bracelet on the same wrist has become a high fashion statement. You can wear the watch higher up the arm than the bracelet. Adding a watch to the mix creates an elegant look that gives you a fashion edge. However, make sure the diamonds on your tennis bracelet match those on the watch for a seamless look.
- Wear a black dress and a white gold tennis bracelet with matching diamond accessories. When on vacation, a rose gold tennis bracelet, and a white summer dress are the ideal romantic outfit for dining at sunset.
- To make your tennis bracelet more noticeable and turn it into statement jewelry? Then select a tennis bracelet studded with colored diamonds.
Why is Tennis Bracelets Always in Trend
There are numerous reasons why tennis bracelets remain fashionable even today.
- Tennis bracelets are jewelry pieces that you can put on repeat. You can wear a tennis bracelet every day and it doesn’t look out of place.
- Tennis bracelets will always remain fashionable because they evolve with fashion. Jewelers are constantly coming out with new designs.
- Tennis bracelets are durable. They are typically classified as fine jewelry, and they frequently become family heirlooms due to their durability.
Tennis bracelets have always been in vogue, and they are still fashionable and classy pieces of jewelry. You can wear them for a corporate casual and bridal look. Choose the setting that suits your style, and go for a colored tennis bracelet if you want something different and colorful.